Last Updated 27.08.2016
• what type of personal information First Prestige Realty collects;
• how First Prestige Realty collects your personal information;
• the purposes for which First Prestige Realty uses that information;
• how First Prestige Realty maintains and keeps the information secure; and
• how you may access, correct or update any personal information that First Prestige Realty holds about you.
What is personal information?
What type of personal information does First Prestige Realty collect about me?
First Prestige Realty may collect any of the following information about you if you are a current or prospective vendor, purchaser or landlord of real estate:
• contact details (including, name, address, telephone number and email address);
• driver’s license number; current property ownership details;
• desired property ownership details; and
• details of properties sold or acquired by you.
If you are a current or prospective tenant for a rental property, First Prestige Realty may collect the following additional information from you:
• contact details (including, name, address, telephone number and email address);
• driver’s license number; employment details such as your employment status, employer, salary, length of employment;
• other sources of income; and
• personal and financial referees whom we may contact about your application.
Sometimes First Prestige Realty may also need to ask you for other personal information to enable us to provide services to you. How does First Prestige Realty collect personal information about me?
First Prestige Realty collects your personal information directly from you unless it is unreasonable or impracticable to do so. When collecting personal information from you, we may collect in various ways, including through when you write to or email us, when you access and use our website and during conversations between you and our representatives;
First Prestige Realty may collect information about you from the following third party sources:
• various databases in the public domain such as Telstra White Pages, Australia Post, TICA database, Titles Office or other property databases;
• credit reporting bodies, law enforcement agencies and other government entities; and
• referrals and recommendations from existing clients of First Prestige Realty.
As part of its due diligence process prior to entering into lease or rental agreements with you, First Prestige Realty may disclose your information to authorised credit-checking agencies. [#TBC by First Prestige Realty if it does a full credit check on applicants]
What happens if we can’t collect your personal information?
If you do not provide us with the personal information described above, some or all of the following may happen:
• we may not be able to provide our services to you, either to the same standard or at all;
• we may not be able to provide you with information about services that you may want, including information about new properties that are available for lease or purchase; or
• we may be unable to tailor the content of our website to your preferences and your experience of our website may not be as enjoyable or useful.
Why does First Prestige Realty collect this information? First Prestige Realty collects this information to:
• enable First Prestige Realty to provide you with the services and/or products you may require;
• to comply with local, state or federal legislation or regulations with respect to real estate property sales, rental and administration;
• to enable First Prestige Realty and its third party partner businesses to assist you with related or ancillary services, as required;
• for our internal administrative, marketing, planning, product development and research requirements
• to share your personal information within First Prestige Realty, contractors or service providers;
• to update First Prestige Realty records and keep your contact details up to date; and to process and respond to any complaint made by you.
How does First Prestige Realty use the personal information held about me?
Any personal information about you that First Prestige Realty collects and records will only be used or disclosed by First Prestige Realty for the purpose of:
• compliance with obligations under real-estate regulations and laws applicable for Victoria;
• helping First Prestige Realty efficiently and effectively deliver and improve on products and services;
• any other purpose if you would reasonably expect First Prestige Realty to use or disclose that personal information for that other purpose and that other purpose is related to the purpose for which the information is collected;
• to provide you with access to protected areas of our website and to assess the performance of our website and to improve the operation of our website;
• to conduct business processing functions including sharing personal information within First Prestige Realty and with its contractors, service providers or other third parties; and for First Prestige Realty administrative, planning, product or service development, quality control and research purposes;
First Prestige Realty may also use or disclose the information it collects for any other purpose specified to you at the time of collection.
If First Prestige Realty wishes to use or disclose any of your personal information in any other ways than described above, First Prestige Realty will not do so unless it:
• has your express consent to do so; has reasonable grounds to believe that the use or disclosure is necessary to prevent a threat to life or health; or
• has reasonable grounds to believe that the use or disclosure is required by law or to enforce the law. What about direct marketing?
We may send you direct marketing communications and information about our services that we consider may be of interest to you. These may include:
• offering to provide you with products or services provided by First Prestige Realty and third party business partners; or
• sending you news and other information about First Prestige Realty activities and general promotional material which First Prestige Realty believes may be of interest to you.
These communications may be sent in various forms, including mail, SMS, fax and email, in accordance with applicable marketing laws, such as the Spam Act 2003 (Cth). When First Prestige Realty does this, First Prestige Realty will provide you with an express opportunity to decline receiving any further communication from First Prestige Realty of this type via an opt-out mechanism. If you indicate a preference for a method of communication, we will endeavour to use that method whenever practical to do so.
You may at any time request not to receive direct marketing from First Prestige Realty by contacting us (see the details below) or by using opt- out facilities provided in the marketing communications and we will then ensure that your name is removed from our mailing list.
The First Prestige Realty website
As our website is linked to the Internet, and the Internet is inherently insecure, we cannot provide any assurance regarding the security of transmission of information you communicate to us online. We also cannot guarantee that the information you supply will not be intercepted while being transmitted over the Internet. Accordingly, any personal information or other information, which you transmit to us online, is transmitted at your own risk.
Our website may contain links to other websites operated by third parties. We make no representations or warranties in relation to the privacy practices of any third party website and we are not responsible for the privacy policies or the content of any third party website. Third party websites are responsible for informing you about their own privacy practices.
Can I be anonymous when I deal with First Prestige Realty?
To some extent you can preserve your anonymity when you deal with First Prestige Realty. You can browse our website without providing any personal information, you can access our real-estate advertising in various publications and you can generally attend auctions without providing personal details if you do not intend to bid.
However, when you enter into transactions with First Prestige Realty that involve the sale, purchase or rental of real estate property, then various Acts, statutory legislation and regulations require you to provide First Prestige Realty with personal information so as to identify you.
What happens if I want to access or correct the personal information held about me?
You may access your personal information held by First Prestige Realty, subject to some exceptions. We will respond to your request for access within 14 days and endeavour to provide the requested information within 30 days.
First Prestige Realty may charge you a reasonable fee to cover its administrative and other reasonable costs in providing the information to you. First Prestige Realty will not charge for simply making the request and will not charge for making any corrections to your personal information. First Prestige Realty may not be able to provide access to information in some situations, including:
• where in First Prestige Realty opinion providing your access may create a serious threat to the life or health of any individual or may be an unreasonable intrusion into the privacy of another individual;
• where your request for access is, in First Prestige Realty opinion, frivolous or vexatious; or
• where providing access would be unlawful, may prejudice an investigation of possible unlawful activity, may prejudice enforcement of law, or denying access is specifically authorised by law.
If for any reason First Prestige Realty does not allow you to access your personal information, First Prestige Realty will provide you with reasons in writing for its decision.
If you believe that personal information First Prestige Realty holds about you is incorrect, incomplete or inaccurate, then you may request amendment of it. First Prestige Realty will consider if the information requires amendment. If First Prestige Realty does not agree that there are grounds for amendment, then First Prestige Realty will add a note to the personal information stating that you disagree with it.
Who does First Prestige Realty disclose my personal information to? We may disclose your personal information:
• within First Prestige Realty, including subsidiaries of Halfpapp Herrmann & Associates Pty Ltd;
• to First Prestige Realty employees and our contractors or service providers for the purposes of operation of our website or our business, fulfilling requests by you, and to otherwise provide services to you;
• if you are a tenant of any property that we are managing, to the National Tenancy Database;
• to suppliers and other third parties with whom we have commercial relationships, for business, marketing, and related purposes; and
• to any organisation for any authorised purpose with your express consent.
There are some instances when First Prestige Realty need to provide your personal information to third parties. First Prestige Realty may be bound by law to provide your details to government-related bodies, including the Titles Office or the Residential Tenancies Bond Authority.
Sometimes First Prestige Realty may need to outsource some of our administrative and other property-related functions to external organisations such as advertising agencies, sign writers, building and garden maintenance contractors or consultants such as accountants, lawyers, surveyors and other advisors. Other third parties may include web hosting providers, IT systems administrators, mailing houses, couriers, payment processors, data entry service providers, electronic network administrators, debt collectors, and other business advisors and consultants. Most of the above organisations are bound by express or implied confidentiality obligations to First Prestige Realty.
First Prestige Realty may also provide your details to third party business partners for the purpose of offering to provide you with products or services provided by First Prestige Realty or these business partners that First Prestige Realty considers relevant to you.
First Prestige Realty does not sell your personal details to other organisations. We may however use the information about you to assist us with internal marketing and research.
First Prestige Realty uses cloud computing. Information is not disclosed to overseas recipients, and it is stored in Australia.
We may disclose personal information to our related bodies corporate and third party suppliers and service providers located overseas for some of the purposes listed above.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that the overseas recipients of your personal information do not breach the privacy obligations relating to your personal information.
We may disclose your personal information to entities located outside of Australia, including the following:
• our related bodies corporate, located in USA;
• our data hosting and other IT service providers, located in USA and other third parties located in USA
How does First Prestige Realty keep my personal information secure?
First Prestige Realty will take reasonable steps to ensure information First Prestige Realty collects, uses or discloses is stored in a secure environment that is accessed only by persons authorised by First Prestige Realty so as to prevent interference, misuse, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
If the personal information is no longer needed for any purpose, First Prestige Realty will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify the personal information.
First Prestige Realty endeavours to provide a secure environment and a reliable system but you should be aware that there are inherent risks associated with the electronic storage and transmission of information (particularly via the Internet) which cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure.
Who do I contact for further information?
First Prestige Realty Privacy Officer can assist you with any enquiries you have about the information that we hold about you. They can be contacted on 0424 003 253 from 9.00am to 5.00pm (Qld time), Monday to Friday.
You can also write to the Privacy Officer at:
First Prestige Realty
GPO Box 3052,
BRISBANE Qld 4001
What if I have a complaint or concern?
If you have a complaint or concern you can phone the First Prestige Realty Privacy Officer on 0424 003 253 or write to the Privacy Officer at the address above. We will do our best to try and resolve your complaint within 90 days.
What if you are unable to resolve my complaint or concern?
If we are unable to resolve your complaint within this time, or you are unhappy with the outcome, you may refer your complaint to the Australian Information Commissioner. The Australian Information Commissioner can be contacted at the below details:
The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner GPO Box 5218,
Sydney, NSW 1042
Phone: 1300 363 992
Fax: (02) 9284 9666
How does this policy change over time?
Although First Prestige Realty intends to observe this policy at all times, it is not legally binding on First Prestige Realty in any way. From time to time First Prestige Realty may regard it as necessary or desirable to act outside the policy. First Prestige Realty may do so, subject only to any other applicable contractual rights you have and any statutory rights you have under the Act or other applicable legislation.